Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Have No Response To That

So here's a weird thing that I've noticed.  Back when I was pregnant or had a newborn baby I noticed that random women in public felt like they could confide in me.  They would tell me bizarre snippets of their personal lives while waiting in line or washing hands in a public restroom.  I began to notice the signs of these odd interactions: the woman will make sidelong eye contact with you and appear to be smiling at something right next to you (hesitant to make eye contact).  She will continue to be close to you even though you try to sidle away.  Finally, she will full-on confront you with some bizarre little piece of personal information.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with women who are nostalgic about their own child-bearing days and offer comments like, "When are you due?" or "How old is he?" or "Is it a boy or a girl?"  Those are sweet and thoughtful comments, and the women are usually happy to see a baby.  The women I'm talking about make random comments that have nothing to do with the child in your belly or on your hip.  My son was probably only 8 weeks old when once I was standing behind one of these women while she was trying to make correct change for a clerk.  She couldn't find it and kept smiling, looking at me, and making excuses (while looking at me, not the clerk).  When she finally found it she looked at me and said, "He always takes the checkbook!  Don't you hate it when he does that?"  I had never seen this woman before in my entire life.

Here's another example.  When I was largely pregnant with my second I was washing my hands in a public restroom.  Another woman was next to me, casting those odd sidelong smiles again.  Here it comes.  "You know, he just doesn't keep in contact with me like he used to!"  She stated emphatically, now with the guts to look me in the face.  "You would think at least a letter!"  After a polite smile and nod I darted out of that bathroom ASAP.

An interesting note is that this never happens when I have toddlers or young kids in tow.  These women for the most part seem to have disappeared.  Still, now that I have a large boot on my foot and a limp in my step, I have noticed another instance where these women accost me: when I'm injured.

Shortly after I broke my toe I had to run out to Safeway.  I noticed the woman behind me was casting those weird smiles and manuevering to get behind me in line.  I thought I had ditched her as I limped through the parking lot, but as I pushed my unlocking mechanism on my car I heard giggles behind me. "I just love those lights you have, they're so cute!"  I have no response to that.

My pastor's wife has suggested faking injuries just to attract these women.  When they start in on their personal life snippets, it may be appropriate to hand out a tract and invite them to church.  Clever!  And it's easier to fake an injury then a baby!

1 comment:

Steph said...

too funny. Hey Brit, this is Steph Lutz :) I don't have your phone #... otherwise I would have called to say that Jack got my cold. I'd still love for the boys to play together though! Would you email me your #? and when we come over, I want to hear how your broke your toe!
Have a great Thanksgiving!
stephkv@gmail.com