Saturday, May 10, 2008

Idols for Destruction

I was recounting to my son the other day the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal.  He especially likes the part where Elijah mocks the prophets as they cry out and cut themselves.  

I've been thinking a lot about modern idols, and not television or whatever, but actual, real idols.  I live in Santa Cruz so a lot of the neo-pagans or neo-Buddhists like setting up their little local deities in random spots.  What would happen if the Christians took them on and knocked over one of their little lawn decorations?

I happened to be out mountain biking today, and my ride brings me to the top of a hill where the whole Monterey Bay can be seen.  I was admiring the view and stretching my legs when I glanced down.  Some neo-pagan had set up a circle of stones with some sort of idol/altar thing in the middle.  I looked around, and then scuffed it up with my feet, knocking over the idol.  It was pretty whimpy as there were no worshippers to contend with, but, as always, I rehearsed in my mind what I might say or do if I met them.  Taking inspiration from Boniface, it would be something along the lines of "Jesus owns this hill!  He killed your idol! Repent!"

4 comments:

Lis said...

I think I am going to go laugh myself to sleep now. Smart move to mind rehearse possible outcomes.

Brittany Martin said...

Oh no! You found my blog!!

Lis said...

you did keep it hidden for quite some time though...was that on purpose?

Brittany Martin said...

Hmmmm...I like to be subtle....