Friday, May 30, 2008

Bible Stories

I was raised in a Christian home and taught all the basic stories, but now having to teach them to my kids I realize that I'm really falling in love with them!

We have these great kids' Bible CDs by a pastor named Jamie Soles who puts Bible stories together in a marvelous way.  Both my husband and I are nearly brought to tears listening to his lyrics and how he connects his theology and stories.  The kids love it too and are always asking me to tell them more about the stories he sings.  He sings a great majority of his songs from the Old Testament and he's not afraid to put anything to music--the circumcision song is one of Leif's favorites.

Thinking about Bible stories really helps me see my own life as a story--and everyone's life as one.  God is the great Author and the Bible shows His book of characters that get repeated everywhere you look.  It helps me be more aware when I'm being an Ahab: "Not the Lord's prophet! He only prophesies bad things about me, never good ones." Or a Peter: "Lord you will never wash my feet!" Or a Sarah who laughed when she heard God's promises.  It's also fun when you see the same things going on in others.  The only way to deal with an Ahab is with a Michaiah.  Peter needs a sharp rebuke.  Sarah needs to be laughed at herself.

I find myself praying that my boys will grow with the same understanding of God's stories and see them played out in their own lives.  I want them to identify with the heroic characters and imitate their actions.  Their favorite story is already David and Goliath and Leif often asks me if he can kill giants too when he finds them.

Jamie Soles also has a great song where he sings through Biblical genealogies using the ABCs.  The chorus of the song is Jesus saying, "These are they that speak of me."  We have all these variations of men because they are all saying something about The Man.  They may tell the truth about Him or lie about Him, but they can't help but come from Him.

No comments: