Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Really Fun Money Saving Tip

So I was doing my normal Costco shopping last week, and butter was on the list. Imagine my dismay when Costco up and jumped the price of their butter, the 4-lb. pack, an entire dollar! I was irritated and didn't want to pay the new $8.50 price.

Then I remembered a little trip to a farm demonstration show at the county fairgrounds in June. They showed how easy it was to turn whipping cream into butter with a KitchenAid. Hmmm...and how much was a half gallon of whipping cream? Only $5.50 for the same weight (4 pounds) as the butter! So I took it home, and here's what we got:

Put about 2 c. of whipping cream in your KitchenAid with the whisk attachment (a food processor would also work).

Beat on medium-high speed for 10 minutes.

It will go through several stages: first it looks like whipped cream, then a chunkier version (almost like creamed butter). Keep an eye on it when it gets close to the end--when you see the milk liquid (skim milk) separate itself from the solid you have BUTTER! And it's the sweetest creamiest stuff you can't buy.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Are you saving the skim milk liquid in a jar for your cereal?

Brittany Martin said...

That would be even MORE money saving! (I suppose if I could stomach skim milk).

P and J Garaway said...

how sad is it that the first thing that comes to my mind when sitting down to comment is, "like".

LindaFaye said...

That's great! Now I just need a mixer! :)
I recently started making my own laundry detergent which was a great savings too.
Whadaya know! Doing it yourself is a great way to really save!