Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Big, Bad Wolf

There is a reason why we named our daughter after a fairy tale hero, mostly because we love fairy tales. We love the ancient-ness of fairy tales and the Christian stories of fairy tales, which includes lots of witch-burning and troll killing.

I was raised knowing all the famous fairy tales, and as soon as I had children, I knew that they needed to know them too. It was part of their culture to know who the big, bad wolf is and why you should always listen to your mother's instructions. We got a beautiful copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales when my oldest was still a newborn, and began to read the stories as soon as the kids were old enough to listen.

As I started reading them aloud, though, I realized that many parts of the stories ruffled my adult comfort feathers. There were some gruesome parts, some seemingly ignorant parts, and some violent parts. Sometimes I hesitated to read these stories--like the fact that Hansel and Gretel's mother wanted to abandon them in the woods and let them starve to death. But I also realized that if I cleaned up these stories, I would be guilty of the same crime the Disney Corporation has been committing for years!

But what really taught me to love the fairy tales--in all their bawdiness and gruesomeness--was that I want my children to love the Bible in the same way. Our family standard of "appropriate" is anything you can find in the Bible, and fairy tales fit neatly into that category. The Bible is certainly not G-rated (despite what this may lead you to believe), but we still want our kids to know and love all of it. That doesn't mean that they need to know in detail what some of the racier sections mean (like my personal favorite, Leviticus 15), but they shouldn't be shocked when an unbeliever tries to discredit God's Word by surprising them with the Book of Judges.

I also realized that all of those same elements that bothered me in fairy tales as an adult, were still in those stories when I was a kid, and didn't bother me at all. Most of these stories, at least those written in the medieval days, were entirely Christian. They spoke the truth about the gospel in a way that was written specifically for children to understand.

In elementary school I remember begging my own mother to tell me a Bible story that I'd never heard before. She opened up Judges and read the story of Ehud killing Eglon. It was the first time I can remember being fascinated and grossed out by something simultaneously. Children everywhere seem to be fascinated by the grotesque, and nearly nothing we can do as parents will make them fall in love with perfectionism. This is why toddlers stare at odd people in a way that makes their parents want to melt into the carpet. And why those same toddlers create chaos anywhere they find order. The Bible and fairy tales are one way to direct that fascination the way God intended it: to show mercy to those who are beaten down, and what to with those who are doing the beating.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Which version of Grimm has the illustration you used at the top? Also, I was just telling your sister about a book I've wanted to read called The Owl, the Raven, and the Dove: The Religious Meaning of the Grimms' Magic Fairy Tales
by G. Ronald Murphy. Jess Evans from Moscow said it's amazing.

Brittany Martin said...

Ooooo! I want to read that book too! In high school we did a full study of Red Riding Hood--it's sort of a Pilgrim's Progress in miniature--but I don't know where my teacher got her information.

As for the picture I used, it's an older print we've thought of ordering for our daughter's room, but I'm not sure what edition you can find it in. The edition we have is here: http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Brothers-Grimm-0965046173/dp/1965046177/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327509681&sr=8-3

You can skip the introduction it has, done by a PhD who has a truly horrible view of fairy tales, but it's the complete collection of Grimm's tales and has beautiful illustrations done by the Victorian artist Arthur Rackham.

Lauren said...

Loved this post!

Brittany Martin said...

Thank you!