Wednesday, March 31, 2010

If Only My Words Were Written in a Book

Most of you reading this blog (as far as I know) probably know that I've been struggling the last 3 years or so with weird, unexplained illnesses. I've never been one to slow down much, so it's been a struggle to constantly fight with fatigue, nasuea, headaches, and whatever else it seems to throw in our path. Besides the sickness I've had at least 4 miscarriages, which have also tired out my body. I tried seeing our family doctor, an endocrinologist, and a gynecologist, and I was quite tired of seeing doctors. I decided not to see any more, and just pray that if this was a serious problem, that God would make it worse, and more obvious, for a wise doctor to take care of. It has been both literally and figuratively, a "thorn in my side."

Thankfully, this last week, we had a wonderful answer to our problems! Most likely it is endometriosis, and I'll be having surgery next week. I never thought that I would be so grateful to have something wrong with me--but just giving the illness a name, and knowing something can be done about it has been wonderful.

I've felt a lot like Job these last few years, and I've talked with my husband about what God has been wanting to teach me through all this. He explained that although Job never cursed God for his trials, he didn't praise Him for them either. Job's last companion, Elihu, who speaks the truth to him before God shows up, condemns Job for not praising God for what He has brought him. My husband also explained that this is why the Book of Psalms follows Job; unlike Job, David praised God continually in his adversity.

I know I have failed many times in being thankful, especially for a gift from God that I didn't want--like this illness. It's been a hard lesson, but one worth learning. May God give me the grace to show gratitude when all the daily trials come!

5 comments:

team brownlee said...

Brittany...I continue to pray for you and have been SO encouraged by you through this trial. Know that you have been a blessing to many in this season.

big hair betty said...

Wow, I'm glad to hear about the name of your sickness, rejoicing with you!! I will continue to pray for you Brittany!

Erin said...

Thank you for sharing all this, Brittany! I am praying for you. Will your recovering be very lengthy, after surgery?

Brittany Martin said...

It's a pretty routine out-patient surgery, so after a day or two of rest I should be fine.

Krista said...

Praise God to have found out what the illness is, and that there is something they can do for you. What a relief this must be! Keep us updated on how the surgery goes, I will be praying.