Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Mother I Hope to be Like

"I give thanks to Almighty God, the Creator of all things, who has not found me completely unworthy, for He has deigned to welcome to His kingdom a child conceived in my womb. I am not at all cast down in my mind because of what has happened, for I know that my child, who was called away from this world in his white baptismal robes, will be nurtured in the sight of God."

--Queen Clotilde of the Franks (475-548 A.D.)

Queen Clotilde was the wife of Clovis the Great, the first King of the Franks who repented and became a Christian. At this time he was an idol worshipper, and Clotilde was a Christian. She convinced him to have their firstborn son baptized, and the boy died minutes after the sacrament was done. She said this to him when he mocked her decision to baptize him. Clovis became a Christian later, through the prayers of his wife, and his conversion paved the way for all of western European tribes to turn to Christ. He also was the first king to unite France into the country we recognize today.

1 comment:

Reno said...

Thanks for posting this Brittany. YOU are a mother I hope to be like. You are a blessing to me!