Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Save the Planet by Swiping Your Credit Card

So I recently saw one of these at the San Francisco airport. To make it even more embarrassing, I was at the airport at about 5:00 in the morning, and when I saw the little kiosk, I burst out laughing. I know I looked like an idiot, but not nearly as much as the person who would actually use the thing. My favorite line from the article is "[t]he traveler could then swipe a credit card to help save the planet." If only do-gooding was always as easy as swiping my credit card. I bet you get a warm, fuzzy feeling when you do it too.

My second-favorite line is "travelers...will soon be able to assuage their guilt," which makes me wonder if John Tetzel is really the one behind this thing. Does anyone else think this whole system seems the least bit fishy?

3 comments:

Krista said...

"Obviously, people need to fly sometimes. No one expects them to stop, but they should consider taking steps to reduce their impacts."

I love that... obviously they don't want people to STOP FLYING, because they would lose money. They just want people to spend MORE.

P and J Garaway said...

I'm pretty sure I've seen this on airline websites when I've bought tickets. It's just an option now, carbon taxes; and I think I've heard flight attendants announce it as well! It made me giggle too.

Brittany Martin said...

Well, they already charge more for food, drinks, pillows, blankets, and movies, why not just ask us to pay for the gas too? But then, what exactly is my ticket paying for?